Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chick Flicks


When our Netflix envelope came on Wednesday (we got a trial subscription in order to get some hard-to-find films and fell in love!), my poor husband didn't suspect that The Devil Wears Prada would be our Friday night flick. I had been wanting to watch it for a while, just because I have a love/hate relationship with fashion like the main character. However, while waiting for it to move up our Netflix queue, I happened to read the book.

The novel version was certainly far better than the film, as the characters were more developed and Miranda was just pure evil (see above link for a good discussion of film versus book). It was fun to get caught up in the world of fashion, despite my anti-materialistic attitude. However, the film was barely watchable. Mostly because it different so much from the book. Miranda was almost likable and the "gay guy makes over the girl," gets old. Also, I'm not typically a chick-flick watcher, because they are so formulaic! Understated girl gets a makeover and gets the guy/falls in love by the end. I also get annoyed with Anne Hathaway, who seems to be type-cast as the "quiet/shy girl turned beauty-queen." My husband is even less into chick-flicks than I am (his last pic was Charlie Wilson's War, which was pretty good!), but once I mentioned Anne Hathaway, he sat down and "somehow got through it." Next up on our movie queue? Lawrence of Arabia. Guess who picked that one....(it wasn't the vegan in our house).

Now I'm turning to some different reads.... Bleach 3 (manga) and Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning, by James W. Fowler. I'm trying all kinds of graphic novels and manga, trying to figure out which series and styles I enjoy so I can make better recommendations to the teens I work with. The other book was checked out from the "library" at my fellowship. I am constantly analyzing my spiritual journey, and this book just called out to me! It's great so far, with its definitions of "faith" versus "beliefs," and how those terms have changed over time.

But what's in my car? The audiobook of Princess in Waiting, by Meg Cabot. Guess I just can't escape Anne Hathaway. Have you seen my shoe collection??

No comments: